Sunday, September 28, 2008

Spanish Fork South Stake Roadshow - September 2008

After the Pioneer Day fireworks concluded on July 24th, 2008, I ran into two of the activities coordinators for our ward. One of them had sent around a sign-up list a few weeks before. Our stake was having a roadshow for the first time in at least ten years, and our activities people wanted to find out who was interested in participating. Well, if you knew much about our ward, you'd understand that activities and volunteering for things aren't all that popular, so our activities people were ready to just drop our ward from the program. As a last ditch effort, they asked me to spearhead the project. When I finally wandered home after being asked - the rest of my family hadn't waited up for me - my wife was surprised to find out that I had "volunteered" to do the following:
  • Write a fifteen to twenty minute play
  • Cast all the members of the play
  • Figure out what props, sound effects, etc. would be needed for the roadshow and somehow produce them.
  • Direct the cast and ultimately pull off a successful play worth attending.

After we considered all that would be involved, my wife and I realized we were taking on a lot, especially since we had a newborn baby, and I own and manage RobbinsSports.com, an online team sports retail store.

Putting all of this together over the course of the next two months was a chore to say the least. I am creating this blog page as a resource for anyone who might find himself or herself in a similar situation. You're welcome to the content that follows: "Common Superheroes".

Some Background...

The theme for our stake's roadshow was "Superheroes of the Scriptures". It was recommended that we creatively tie our program in with scriptural heroes. We approached the play as an opportunity to teach the principle that superhero-type capabilities can be found in seemingly ordinary people. With that perspective, the story tells how a young boy, fascinated with comic book stars, discovers that his mother is actually, in many ways, a bonafide superhero.

No comments: